Sunday, July 11, 2010

Who Do You Judge?

A few years ago I met a woman who just seemed to get on my nerves. Let’s face it! There are some people that you meet and something about their personality feels like fingernails on a black board. Her mannerism, what she said, how she said it just got to me. I was within myself being judgmental.

So I began to surrender my thoughts to God and prayed for a miracle because I didn’t like what I was feeling and thinking. As I got a chance to get to know this woman, one day she began to tell some of us her story. Her story was one of such dysfunction that all I do was cry. Now I understood why she behaved the way she did and why she got under so many people’s skin. She was trying to act like an adult, yet never really having had any functional adulthood modeled for her.

That same behavior on her part that had once brought up judgment from me now brings up compassion from me. The miracle was not that she had changed, but I had changed.
Of course we all judge sometimes, because we have limited understanding and we don’t see the whole story. I’m not telling you to suppress the judgmental thoughts; deny and pretend they don’t exist. Nor should you indulge them in secret. Healing is like a detox, things have to come up in order to be released.

Be honest about your feelings and then release them to God. God cannot take from you what you will not release to Him. When we ask the Spirit of God to enter our thoughts and literally remind us of the truth, we can create a miracle. Behavior from all people is derived from two things: Love or a call for Love.
Many people have shifted away from God until they don’t know how to express themselves and really don’t know how to be their best selves to get their needs met.

If you choose to focus on someone else’s guilt, you will become guilty yourself, no matter how they treat you. If you choose to focus on someone else’s innocence, you will become innocent, even when the other person hasn’t shown it to you. That’s the key to walking in unconditional love. You see the innocence in people no matter what.

Because God created it there, it didn’t go away. It was just covered up by layers of fear that led to dysfunctional fear based behaviors. But a loving vessel knows there’s love inside the person and your power lies in having the faith that it’s there even when the person hasn’t shown it to you. My spiritual power lies in knowing you are a good person even though you may not act like it.

So now each morning when I get up, I remind myself that “today I judge nothing.” We don’t always know people’s story, but we can choose to love in every situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment